What do we mean when we say On-page SEO? On-page SEO refers to all the components that are located on a webpage, from HTML source code to image alts to the title tags to URL and much more.
On page SEO is a discipline of optimising individual web pages. It involves making your page relevant to a certain topic/keyword and the consequence of this would be ranking higher and benefiting from increased visitors to your website.
Benefits of on page SEO
There are many reasons to why you want to focus on onpage SEO,
- one being the with ranking on page 1 position 1 you are now benefiting from targeted visitors who are out there around the world searching for your product, service and information and this results in more leads and more products being sold.
- Another Benefit for ranking within the first page would be if you have more than one asset on the first page you own more “real estate” whether that is another website or another webpage ranking for the same keyword.
- Easy to implement – As long as you have access to the CMS, you can go ahead and make changes whenever you need to.
On page SEO Techniques
The most important and first step would be to do some keyword research and figure out what would be the most commercially viable and most likely to rank for. Then the following step would be to see what your competitors are implementing and make sure to be in line with them as we know these are the sites that Google is rewarding, optimising over the average of your competitors might be over optimisation and cause you to not rank as highly as you would like to.
Pro Tip: See what the top 10 pages are implementing on their site, find the average and use that as your starting point.
Here’s what you need to optimise
Make sure to include your keyword somewhere in the URL of that page.
Title tags represent a very strong on page signal, it’s a must that you include it.
H1 tags are also a major on page signal that Google is looking for, make sure to use it and don’t stuff your keywords. Only have one H1 tag per page.
Include variations or secondary keywords in the H2 tags, You can have more than one H2 tags
Another way to let Google know what the page in question is about is by including the main keyword and variations of it within the body content. Be sure to include your keyword, variations and LSI within the text otherwise how will Google understand what your text is about
H3 and H4 Tags
Sprinkle in some of your variations and secondary keywords into the H3 and H4 tags
Image Alt Texts
Be descriptive in your image alt texts, be sure to mention the keyword or a variation of it somewhere. Do not just add a random and irrelevant picture and stuff the keyword in the alt text.
Onpage SEO Checklist
- Is the main keyword in the URL?
- Is the main keyword mentioned in the title tag?
- Are you using the H1 tag correctly?
- Have you used main variations, secondary keywords, variations and LSI keywords in the H2, H3 and H4?
- Is the keyword incorporated along with LSI, variations and other related keywords mentioned in the body text?
- Have you optimised the image alts?
Check out our Related Posts:
July 3, 2017
April 25, 2017
April 7, 2017